Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Source & Goal of Knowledge

{Last Course in the series: Reforming Education, Reforming America: Practicals}

Addressing the spiritual issues should be the first part of the renewal process because that is the root of true and lasting change. Many attempts to reform education take an external approach by trying to find new methods that would work better but I agree with Palmer that, “To find new ways of transmitting knowledge, we must find a new knowledge. To find a better medium we must find a better message.” (Palmer 30) I also agree with Palmer’s conviction that a knowledge inspired by love and striving for truth is what will bring lasting transformation to conventional education.


So, what is this spiritual renewal about? And why is it so necessary?
It is about being re-united with our God-given spiritual side that we have neglected, re-united with each other and the world we live in. We need to turn from our materialistic ways and focus on what matters most. Yes we need to focus on the true source of knowledge, the Creator, God. And we need to be reunited with the true goal of knowledge and Wisdom which is love. To love God, and to love each other as we love ourselves. To love communally.

Personally, I was brought up in a Christian family but I still had to search my spirit and decide for myself where to place my faith. I asked myself those questions hard questions “Is there an almighty Creator who has a plan and purpose for his creation or is it just by chance that all life exists? What is the reason for my existence? What is the purpose of my life? Is it just to go to school, get a good job, buy a house, start a family then die? Or is there more to life than that? What impact have I made on those around me?...” I think through asking ourselves such tough questions and searching for the answers we will all find the best place to rest our faith, much better than material things, better than science, better than ourselves, which all fail to satisfy. (Read more about my story: The Bubble)

Who is this God of Wisdom and Love?
Like I said before, He is the Source and Goal of Wisdom.
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." (Proverbs 9:10)
...After I answered those questions for myself, this is the reason why I am still a Christian (follower of Jesus). Because He is the Source and Goal of Truth. Truth is a person. So to seek Truth is to be in a relationship with the Truth (God). That's why without a shadow of a doubt, I know. It's one thing to know of someone (facts about someone) and it's another to actually have a relationship with someone. Truth is known personally. God is personal but He is not private. The goal of Truth is not individualistic, it is relational, communal. God and ourselves and others.

Who is this Jesus Christ?
"Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength." (1 Corithians 1: 24a-25)
"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14)

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

What's His purpose?
"No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known." (John 1:18)

"Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." (Isaiah 7:14)

-> Immanuel means God with us. God the Father sent Jesus (means Savior) to make Himself known to us (the source and goal of knowledge). He became flesh and dwelled among us so that we can relate with Him. He came to fill the gap and in doing so He came to overcome the enslaving systems we had bought into, He came to set us free from this world that has messed us up and that we have contributed to the mess as well. Freedom isn't free. He paid the price (He died on a cross) so that we can have freedom and He also rose from the grave (defeated death). To know Him as we are known.
So now the choice is ours. Will we accept this freedom or not? Will we seek this Wisdom, this Truth, this Jesus, this God? And when we find Him will we allow Him to transform us, to love us? That's what His love does. Will we then allow this transforming love to spread through us to others?
The choice is yours.

Blessed are those who find wisdom,
those who gain understanding,
for she is more profitable than silver
and yields better returns than gold.
She is more precious than rubies;
nothing you desire can compare with her.
Long life is in her right hand;
in her left hand are riches and honor.
Her ways are pleasant ways,
and all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her;
those who hold her fast will be blessed.
(Proverbs 3: 13-18)

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." - Jesus :) (Matthew 7:7)

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." -Jesus :) (Revelation 3:20)

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." -God :) (Jeremiah 29:13)

Seek the LORD while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.
Let the wicked forsake their ways
and the unrighteous their thoughts.
Let them turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on them,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
(Isaiah 55:6-9)


So that's the conclusion. ALL WE NEED IS LOVE. Take it from this professor, he used to be atheist before he died but he came back to life and shared his encounter. Check it out.



____________________________________________



(This was the last main course of the series but I'll have more "side dishes" in the future based on the information I've shared so far)

Feel free to share comments or questions =)

No comments:

Post a Comment